The two locomotives, No. 1 and No. 3, so badly demoralized by the fire which destroyed the engine house Sept. 6th, have been put in nice trim, and are at the Bridgton station, ready for business. Soon after the fire, they were taken to the Portland Company’s Works, where they been thoroughly overhauled, and repaired, under the special direction of Mr. M. M. Caswell, who now and even since opening of the road, over ten years ago, has been its Master Mechanic and Purchasing Agent, and who has visited Portland twice every week to superintend the renovation. The locomotives look brand-new-fresh as a daisy. New cabs have been built, finished in ash, natural color; the exterior finished in black, with silver lettering; new numbering of plate in front boiler, with circular, guilt letter legend “Bridgton & Saco River Rail Road Co.;” while an improvement has been introduced by Mr. Caswell in the manner of sight-feed lubricators, for self-oiling the cilinder [sic],–an ingenious device whereby lubrication can be adjusted to a nicety. Each machine is provided with a chime-whistle, the same used on the Main [sic] Central.
Originally published by the Bridgton News on December 1st, 1893.